What Does a DJ Cost and Is It Worth It?
The date is set! The venue is booked, caterer hired, the dress is being altered, flowers are ordered, and all other preparations are under way to make your wedding the day of your dreams, right? But what about the DJ cost? DJ’s can make your wedding and reception that much better or if you don’t find a good one, then that expensive wedding could end up as just another bland affair.
Picking your DJ should be right up there on the “to-do” list with every other important decision that takes time in choosing! Don’t just grab one in haste; do your homework and choose the DJ that is best suited for your event.
DJs come in all price ranges and years of expertise. The pricier they are, the more they tend to offer in ways of entertainment, experience, state-of-the-art equipment, mood, and enjoyable musical flow. Weddings are BIG business! In Virginia Beach alone there are over 11,000 weddings each year. The average wedding can cost upward of $28,000.! Yes, that’s right $28,000+ on average. Pause a moment and take a breath and think on this…
- 11,000+ couples wed every year in the Hampton Roads. That’s over 30 weddings a day…every day of the year
- The average cost of a wedding in Hampton Roads is $34,566 (2015)
- The average wedding budget is $20,000-which means MANY couples exceed their budget
- The average number of guests invited to a wedding is 178 (2015)
- The average DJ Cost couples in Hampton Roads paid is $1412.50 (2015)
- 4.9 is the Percentage of the overall average spent on a wedding DJ in Hampton Roads.
That is quite a small percentage when it comes down to the person who is hosting/entertaining your guests, playing music, coordinating with other vendors throughout the evening, and maintaining your wedding timeline. These are very important factors in considering your entertainer and the DJ Cost, after all (for most couples) this is the biggest/best celebration couples will throw in their lifetime
So, when it comes to picking entertainment for your wedding, how much should your DJ cost? How much should you budget for your DJ? That is obviously a question that only you can answer but an important tidbit to keep in mind is that the DJ’s job is crucial to the success and fun of the reception. Why? Because the DJ sets the tone of your wedding. Do you want a formal affair or an informal party? Are you in the mood for a large dance floor ambiance with a lot of energy or a quiet, dignified celebration of your love? The choice is yours and the DJ is the one that will get your event and guests exactly where you want them to be by providing the mood and energy that you desire.
There are certain qualities that you should absolutely look for in choosing your professional DJ:
- First your DJ should have a professional appearance and a great personality for you and your guests
- They should have excellent introduction and announcement skills
- They should have professional knowledge of music and music programming
- They should have technical and planning expertise
- Be able to provide professional equipment that entertains a crowd
- They should also have an intuition to adapt to any situation throughout the event. This comes with years of expertise.
- They should also, have the ability to read an audience; to create an emotional mood and an excitement of celebration that guests will remember for the rest of their lives. Not just be the life of the party but to create the party according to the wedding family’s wishes!
DJ’s should do all of that plus make your guests feel comfortable at the event. The right DJ will spend hours planning your event. Then at the reception, will spend all their time entertaining the guests through pre-approved activities and music.
That said, the cost of a good DJ is money well spent. It’s that simple. You can spend thousands on the ceremony, food, venue, etc. but if you don’t have a DJ that knows what they’re doing and can set the tone to avoid the pitfalls of boredom, the whole thing can end up one dull disaster. Money should be spent to get the DJ that is a perfect fit for you and your day. He’s as important as the reception venue itself and should be budgeted for just as judiciously.
I am a DJ in the Virginia Beach area and offer all of the above and more. I do everything within my power to make the weddings that I work as stress and hassle-free as possible for the entire wedding party to ensure the bride and groom have a day they will cherish for the rest of their lives.
Check out my website and DJ packages!